Subject: Re: Softshadows with transparent objects
From: John Gross <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
Cc: Fernando Martins <[email-masked]>, LightwaveML <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 20:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

> > -if the ball is solid and I have 'shadow'map' on, I get a nice soft
shadow > > -if the ball is transparent and 'shadow map' is on, I get THE
SAME soft shadow > > (the shadow doesn't show that the ball is
transparent)

> > 
> > So the only solution to have a shadow that shows the tranparency of
the ball > > is to turn 'trace shadows on', right?! But the shadows will
not be soft... I > > would like to get soft, fluffy, 'translucent'
shadows... Isn't that possible?! > > 

Shadow maps _always_ cast solid shadows, even if it is 99.99% 
transparent. For true "transparent" shadows, you must use ray tracing.

Tip: If you don't want your object to cast shadow maps, turn off Cast 
Shadow *and* Self Shadow for the object.

JG
--
John Gross <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]